Friday, March 22, 2024

The First Draft, and the First Pulls

    My first draft as part of the MF0 project was largely a success. I had been preparing on MTG Arena to draft the newest Murders at Karlov Manor set, but to my surprise, my LGS was hosting a chaos draft of Mystery boosters. I was very familiar with many of the cards from my former MTG days.

The Pulls

There was not a whole lot of value in the packs themselves, but I pulled a few notable cards that will certainly be able to go into a Commander Deck.





The most valuable of these cards is Felidar Sovereign. For obvious reasons, he is very good in EDH and will provide me with a win condition for a very early-stage deck. But this card only costs around $3. 

The Tournament

However, none of these cards ever saw play in the tournament. What really did the work was what might be my favorite card in Limited, one I remember well from Ixalan.

A two-drop 3/1 on the attack is already very good but being able to pay 4 lives to gain indestructible is very powerful. I forged a Boros midrange deck focused on making tokens and gaining life. The result was quite successful, as I made it to the finals. Unfortunately, in the final matchup, things soured, and I drew no lands, and then all lands with my mulligans. My final opponent had a powerful deck with a Liliana, Death's Majesty, and several other powerful black spells. My deck without being on curve and without good tempo ended up losing 2-0. However, I ended up placing in the tournament and gaining store credit enough for a few packs, giving me enough to cobble together a very poor but legal EDH deck!

Stay tuned for what came out of those packs and the resulting deck. 

~MF0

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Prison, the Playables and the Pulls

On the peripheries of Kansas, on the bank of the Missouri River, there stands an imposing prison looming over a game shop. Is not this priso...