Saturday, March 23, 2024

The First Fruits

 Having won my first value in trade credit, and there being no draft scheduled at my LGS, I decided to take the time to use my credit on some packs, which I used a few packs from the Lost Caverns of Ixalan set. I chose this set because I have a Standard deck in mind (Which you can find here: Desired Standard Discover (Standard) — Deckstats.net MTG Deckbuilder + Collection Manager ) that heavily relies on the Discover mechanic. I was very happy with some of my pulls.

The most notable card that I pulled was a Preacher of the Schism, which sees a lot of play in Standard, including the deck that Standard deck that I have in mind. Now, that deck is quite expensive (Around $300 as of March 2024, with a sub-optimal mana base), so it is likely that the $5-$7 Preacher of the Schism might be used as something to trade. 



But Preacher of the Schism wasn't the only interesting card I pulled, as I happily pulled a card that can be a reasonable Commander card for EDH, Wayta, Trainer Prodigy


Wayta is not the best commander, but she has a useable ability and gives me three colors for which I have playable cards from my draft and pack pulls. This allowed me to create a terrible, but legal EDH deck that even contains one win condition, being my Felidar Sovereign. You can find sub-$10 deck here Magic From Zero Commander (EDH / Commander) — Deckstats.net MTG Deckbuilder + Collection Manager

Reasons for playing EDH with MF0 Principles

Some might ask why I am interested in building a Commander deck when there are rarely any non-cEDH Commander tournaments that offer prize support. My reasoning is to allow me more opportunities to trade and to socialize with other players. EDH has become the most widespread format among Magic players, and I find that most players aren't at game shops merely to trade; they want to play Commander! Being able to forge relationships that will allow me to trade new cards in the future is key. This also gives me something to work towards and play with while I build up a Standard-legal collection.


Today I drove over an hour to go play in a Chaos Mystery Booster draft and got some really nice cards that can boost this commander deck, stay tuned for the tournament results and an updated EDH MF0 Decklist.


~MF0

1 comment:

  1. Hey man had fun drafting with ya yesterday! If you ever swing by Gators again I have most of the cards for the standard deck you're trying to build if you'd like to trade.

    ReplyDelete

The Prison, the Playables and the Pulls

On the peripheries of Kansas, on the bank of the Missouri River, there stands an imposing prison looming over a game shop. Is not this priso...